Sunday, May 27, 2007

On Writing and Harry Potter

I was in high school when the writing bug caught me. I can spend countless hours writing all the things my young imaginative mind could come up with and like all teenagers with raging hormones they consist mostly of love found and lost. Then college came and real life beckoned. I lost touch of that young budding writer.

Many times I tried to find her but failed. It seems that like others before me who dreamed the same dream of becoming a writer but got lost along the way to their dreams, I too have lost that "dream". By the time I got out of college, earning money became my top priority. I looked for and found a job answering phone calls, filing and encoding documents. It was mundane work, boring on most days but it pays the bills and it was enough for me.

Then the time came when just earning enough was no longer enough for me. I got tired of the routine, of the mundane task and small pay. I got out of the rat race and decided that I no longer want to work for somebody else. I put up my own business. I was happy with it at first but still something was missing.

I wanted to write again the same way I did when I was in high school, but it seems that the "muses" has left me and I can't even write a simple essay much less write one whole page worth of a story.

Then Harry Potter came and captivated the imaginations of kids and adults alike. To some it was an awesome piece of work, a wonderful children's story that incidentally captured the heart of many adults too. But to me to me it was something else, it awakened my desire to write again.
I harbor no dreams of becoming another JK Rowling. I can't even see myself wanting my work to be published. I just want to write period. Egocentric i know but that's what I want, to continue writing the stories I want to tell in a way that I want to tell them.

But stories are meant to be read and if I don't want them published what shall I do with them then? Create a blog to post them, to be shared with friends and strangers alike.

I cannot claim to be a good writer, heck I have no awards or recognition to show for it and I can't and will never be in the same league as JK Rowling. But there are stories in my head that wants to get out there to be read and write them I will.

For now I am limiting myself to fan fiction, just because they are what I want to write right now. One day inspiration might hit me with a bludger and force me to write an original work and write them I will.

So if you have nothing better to do and have the patience (and is not picky when it comes to grammar, spelling and following correct sentence structure) do read some of my work and I hope you will enjoy them as much as I love writing them.


Missy


PS,

Comments and reviews are welcome also.

PS2,

Just in case you are wondering where they are. I will post some of them very soon. Like right after this post :-P








No comments: